Monday, April 13, 2009

Final reflection........

Time really flies, now we are coming toward the end of the semester!!!!!=)It's the time for to finalize the things I have learn from ES2007S so that I can recall and remember what I have learned in the last 10 weeks about effective communication as well as professional writing skills.

The purposes that I take this module are to learn effective communication skills and to improve my English level as my English proficiency is very poor as I was studying in Chinese medium based school since primary and secondary school. Besides that, this module which does not have final examination is one of the reasons to attract me to take this module as I do not want to study too many modules during final examination (Sorry, Brad, I think I disappoint you!!!). However, I did not regret that I take this module as I have learned a lot from this modules besides English and effective communication.

Before I take this module, I had an impression that communication is just about talking and expressing feelings to each other. However, after taking this modules, I only realize that communication includes a lot of aspects such as non verbal communication, effective writing etc. Besides that, I also realize that non verbal communication such as facial expression, speaking tone, body gesture and our mood play important roles in conveying message to other people. If we use non verbal communication inappropriately, people might misinterpret it and thus miscommunication occurs. Thus, through this module, I have learned how to use non verbal communication appropriately and effectively.

Besides learning about non verbal communication, I also have learned about effective writing which adopt 7Cs principle and realize that my writing skills do not follow the 7Cs criteria. Through writing blog, job application letter, resume, research report and business letter, I have learned to adopt 7Cs criteria. Besides that, I found that I always have grammar error during writing and I think I need to improve it by reading. Once again, I would like to thank Brad for his advice on my grammar error!!!!=)

Through this module, I have experienced a "scary" mock interview which the "interviewers" looks very serious and unfriendly at all. However, when I was told this situation might be a real situation, I was quite shocked as I thought most of the interviewers will be quite friendly. In addition, I also realized that we must well prepared before interview and present ourselves during interview to impress the interviewers. However, this mock interview allow me to practice myself before the real interview that I will be attending in the future.

On the other hand, I also found that presentation also plays important roles in impressing and convincing people. I had my first time professional presentation through this module and I am glad that I have a chance to practice this type of presentation before I start working.

Overall, I feel that I have learned a lot of knowledge from this module which cannot be obtained from my core module. The knowledge and skills that I have learned not only about communication, they also include time and emotional management. Besides that, I know new friends through this module. Thus, I have gained knowledge, skills and friendship through this module.

That's all about my final reflection. I would like to take this opportunity to thanks my teammates - Vikki and Jaenatte for their efforts that they have put for the research report and presentation as well as the encouragement they have given to me. I would also like to thanks all my classmates for their valuable feedback on my work.

Lastly, I would like to say it is glad to know all of you through this module. All the best in the coming final examination!!!!=)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you, Pooi San, for this detailed post, for all the accolades and for making a very solid effort this term. I really admire the fact that you (and your group mates) could do what you did even though English is not your native language. That in itself is remarkable.

    I also like the statement that sums up what you gained: "I have gained knowledge, skills and friendship through this module."

    Three benefits for the price of one. (What a bargain!) But in fact, you worked very hard and this is just what you take away for all your effort.
    I appreciate that hard work.

    Best of luck, Pooi San, in your future! (Maybe our paths will cross again, even in KL in the future.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello pooi san,

    I really think you improved a lot quickly in English through this module. I feel this is very commmendable as it is VERY difficult to learn a new language especially when you starte much later than most of us so continue to jiayou k! I think by improving you English you will also improve your confidence and ultimately your career prospects!

    Hey I can tell that your group put in a lot of efforts for the presentation and I think your hard work paid off well :) Really glad to become friends with you and yup let's keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brad,

    First of all, I would like to thank you for guidance and forgiveness throughout this module.

    Thanks for your compliments for this post. I really enjoy taking this module and glad to have you as my tutor.

    Hope we can enjoy ourselves for the last tutorial tomorrow!!So see you tomorrow!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jingyang,

    To clarify with you, actually I did learn English during my primary and secondary school, just that it was taught as secondary subject as most of subjects are taught in Chinese or Malays. Yeah, i think by improving my English really can improve my confidence.

    I really glad to know you through this module. Hope that we still can keep in touch after this semester!!!

    Lastly, thanks for your compliments and comments that you have given to me!!!=)

    So see you tomorrow, hope we can enjoy ourselves tomorrow!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pooi San,

    I felt that your post really shows how it's helped you. Through this class, I realised that you've taken time to often reflect about your shortcomings and weaknesses. By doing so, you have taken effort to improve on these weaknesses as well.

    I remember how you commented how your mother used to say that you speak loud. But in this course, I think you've become more aware of what to say, and also the appropriate volume to speak at.

    I'm sure this course has helped you in achieving what you had hoped for at the beginning of this module. Because it has helped me too! (:

    See you around

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane,

    Thanks for your comments!!=)

    Yeah, I have learned a lot through this module and I feel that there is some improvement in my English level as well.

    I really glad to know all of you through this class!!Thanks for your helps and feedback that you have given me throughout this module!!!=)

    See you tomorrow and all the best for your final examination!!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pooi San!

    I totally agree with you with regards to no regret in taking up this module! I think that’s what everyone would think and no surprise on that based on the fact that we had a fabulous teacher, fantastic class, great topics to touch on and unique assignments and practices such as a mock job interview!

    I think you did well in the mock interview! You maintained your nerve and still sounded positive even with such mean interviewers around. I really hope that you didn’t have some post-interview trauma! Haha We posed difficult questions for you with good intentions. Firstly, it would have been better if you faced it now rather than in a real job interview. Secondly, now that you know what kind of questions to expect, you can practice what you would want to reply so that you will better prepared in future! Also, now that you have faced the ‘worst ever interviewers’, I am sure in future when you go for a real interview, they will seem like angels! Haha On a serious note, I do hope no friendships was spoiled as none of us meant it in a bad way. :)

    Thank you so much for listening to our group that day, for providing support to us and giving me feedback on my presentation! You guys were so sweet to spare time for us! :)

    It was great knowing you and good luck for your examinations too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pooi San,

    From your presentation I could never say you learnt in a Chinese medium. Your english was fluent and clear to get your point across! Hey I like your honesty and I sure did take this module because my friend recommended. But like you mentioned the point is you enjoyed this module!

    Sometimes non-verbals dont just extend to body gestures and moods but seem to extend to our dressing styles especially during presentations and interviews. Your formal attire added onto the professional outlook of the presentation.

    Thank you for all the smiles!
    You have shown us the ways in which this course has improved you. Good luck for a fab future!

    ReplyDelete