Monday, March 23, 2009

Pooi San's Biodata

My name is Wong Pooi San and I am currently a year 3 undergraduate student in National University of Singapore (NUS). I am a student from Faculty of Science, majoring in Life Sciences with concentration of Biomedical Science. I will be graduating in June next year with Bachelor of Science (Honours) and I hope I can enjoy my life and score for good grades for my modules in the remaining one more year in NUS.


I was born in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and I completed my primary, secondary as well as my pre-university education before I was admitted to NUS for my tertiary education. Before coming to Singapore to study, I was quite worried whether I could cope the pressure here. However, after three year of studies in NUS, I am glad that I am can cope the life here and I am satisfy with my academic results as well as my CCA achievements here. I was studying in a Chinese-based school for my primary and secondary education, thus my English is not that proficient. So that's why I took ES2007S to improve my English!!!!=)

I join Red Cross Humanitarian Network - National University of Singapore Chapter (RCHN-NUS Chapter) since two year ago and currently I am the Vice President of this society. As a Vice President, I am responsible to guide and advise my Management Committee members for various activities such as Blood Donation Drive, Charity Bazaar, First Aid Awareness Workshop etc. Besides that, I was the team leader for International Humanitarian Mission Trip to Hunan Province, China to help the mentally disabled orphans in last December. As a team leader, I led 13 volunteers and make final decisions with the advices of President as well as Singapore Red Cross's staff who followed us to China. Before the trip, I was responsible to liaise with the China local contact and Singapore Red Cross for administrative matters as well as chair the weekly meeting with the volunteers.

I find out that we, normal healthy people are very lucky people if compared to those beneficiaries that we helped during the humanitarian trip. Thus, I strongly feel that we shall appreciate the things we have now!=) Besides, through various co-curricular activities that I have participated from year 1 till now, I have gained a lot of experiences and skills such as time management, leadership, teamwork as well as emotional management. I wish these experiences and skills can aid me in my future career.

I wish to become a teacher after the completion of my undergraduate studies as I have the experience as a relief teaches. I hope I can nurture the future generation by teaching them knowledge that I have learned from my education. Besides that, I have a goal which is to involve in oversea humanitarian and volunteer trip once a year to help the beneficiaries as I feel that helping people is meaningful for me!=)

That's all about me!Hope all of you know me more after reading my biodata!=)

7 comments:

  1. hello Pooi san :D

    Thanks for the detailed biodata, it certainly told me a lot about your personality. Haha but i think it will be better that you elaborate more on your relief teaching experience more since that is what you want to do next time right?

    Haha and i feel it will be more appropriate to use a less personal..hmm i mean a more business tone in writing your biodata as it is for professional purposes :) Oh and I think you wnat to edit this sentence: "I am glad that I am can cope the life here and I am satisfy with".

    Hey but overall i like your honest tone which makes the reader feel that you will be a pleasant and kind person to work with :D Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This biodata statement does have a personal and somewhat informal tone, Pooi San, but depending on how you would want to use it, it may or may not be appropriate. If someone requests general background about you, this might work fine (assuming you drop out some of the info, such as the blurb about your reason for taking ES2007S). But for a more professional statement, you might want to focus more on your relevant experience, skills and talents.

    Thanks, in any case, for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyo Pooi San,

    Thanks for sharing your biodata to us. From the way you have written, I can see that your english have improved tremendously over the past 3 years at NUS. You have many skills such as organization, liasing and management. However, I believe you should list down more skills such as research skills, laboratory skills, etc. In addition, you seem to have alot of networks with Malaysia and China, maybe you want to elaborate more on that. Lastly, try and include some work experiences that you have in Malaysia or even Singapore.

    Cheers,
    Keldren

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey pooi san,

    Your biodata is clear and informative. I am so amazed at how well you perform in your academics even though your high school studies was in a non-english medium! Maybe you can emphasize that this shows you are open to learning and take up challenges/ stress well.

    I also understand your interest in contributing back to the society. You might want to emphasize on how your extra curricular activities has aided in your skill development. For instance you mention emotional management. A better way is to emphasize how you improved this skill. Maybe relate it to working along with the orphans and how important it is to control your emotions.

    I do agree with Jing Yang about the tone of the biodata. It would definitely be a plus point if it can be improved here and there to make it sound more formal and professional. Nevertheless it is a good piece of writing :)
    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jingyang,

    I thought this biodata is meant to let all of you to know more about me and not for business purposes, thus I used an informal tone so it won't be sounded too serious.

    And thanks for your suggestion and your compliments as well!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brad,

    Thanks for your comments and suggestion!!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keldren and Priya,

    Thanks for your comments as well as your compliments. Since the purpose of this post is to let all of you to know more about, so I more focus more on my thoughts and feelings instead of my skills and my academic achievements. I will use a more professional tone to write this biodata if it is for business purposes.

    Thanks for sharing your opinions with me!!!=)

    ReplyDelete