Monday, April 13, 2009

My First Oral Presentation.......

I have just experienced my first ever professional oral presentation in this morning and I will not forget this experience. I was not very satisfied with my performance as I did not present my points smoothly and fluently. Although I could remember my points during practicing, I have forgot some of the important points when I was doing the actual presentation. Besides that, I did a big mistake as I did not introduce my teammates in a correct order. I guess this was due to tI was nervous at that time.

Beside that, I feel that the actual presentation was very different when compared to practicing. I was not nervous at all when I was practicing but I was starting to feel nervous once I stood in front of the class. I feel a bit pressurized when presenting as the previous group did a very good presentation. However, I tried to calm down myself so that I would not screw up the presentation.

The weakness that I have realized after my presentation is I did not keep eye contact with the audience as I just kept looking at Qiying's position. This weakness will give a bad impression to the audience as it shown I am nervous at that time. Another weakness that I had during the presentation is I did not used proper English during the presentation and this will leave a bad impression to the audience. This might be due to I did not prepare any script before hand and I did not practice much. Thus, I find that preparation before presentation is very important for us to have a good and effective presentation.

Personally I feel that my group did a fairly good presentation as Vikki and Jaenette did a very good presentation in conveying the message to the audience. However, there are some minor mistakes that we have made during the actual presentation.

Last but not least, I think I need to improve my presentation skills so that I can convey clear message to the audience as well as convincing them. That's what I think about my first oral presentation!!Thanks for spending your time with us!!!=)

4 comments:

  1. Dear Pooi San,

    Not to worry too much for your presentation. I think that it was fine, just that there were a few hiccups here and there. But it's ok! We are all here to learn from mistakes and to gain experiences.

    Just a couple of comments. On the overall, I think that your presentation was fine. You were aware of your content and you delivered it well. However, there were times when you were speaking a little too fast that I could not catch what you were trying to say and there were some pronunciation errors. Perhaps it was due to your nervousness, so in future, you can work on these two areas.

    In addition, in the midst of playing the video, I think that you could have taken a seat with the rest of your team members as I felt that it was quite awkward to stand at the side. Also, the transition from the video to the next slide, you could have prepared a better speech as I felt that it was quite abrupt.

    However, I think that overall, your group, including you, did a great job! No worries! Hope my comments are helpful! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pooi San!

    It is very normal to feel nervous when presentating, I was also as nervous as you were when I presented because it was also my first time doing a presentation in the morning. However, I felt that during Q & A, you supported your team mates very well and helped them answer the questions appropriately. Good job!

    My friend thought me a way to be less nervous which I would like to share with you. She said that we should take in a deep breath and release our breath slowly counting "1000..2000..3000", and repeat this three times. I feel that this method does work occassionally.

    Now I'll like to give you some feedbacks and hope that these feedbacks would help you in your future presentations.

    1)I felt that you had quite an abrupt start when you began your presentation after the video. Instead of immediately saying "Yet...," you could have started by saying " After watching the video.......".

    2)You need to maintain more eye contact with your audience because I realised that you were looking at your slides too often. You need to minimise the action of looking at your slides because I learnt during my presentation that it is very distracting to the audience.

    3)Also, you stuttered occassionally during your presentation and I think you could be because you were too nervous, so next time remember to take in deep breaths and have more rehearsals=)

    I feel that you could have performed better if you were less nervous, therefore I wish you all the best in your future presentations and hope my comments helped! Thank you for all your hard work and also helping my group out during our rehearsals for the presentation, really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle and Hui Xia,

    Thanks for your feedback about my first ever oral presentation. I think these suggestions that you have given me can help me in my future presentation.

    Cheers!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pooi San,

    Our group felt that your group had a very impactful opening with the help of the video managed to capture the urgency for change initiatives in using an alternative energy source. In addition, the music used in the video was also appropriately used.
    Furthermore, the handout given to us not only helped us in understanding key terms used in your presentation but also showed the effort your group put into the presentation.

    The pace of your presentation and the posture your group portrayed was appropriate and professional.

    During Q & A, your group could have switched on the lights in the classroom to encourage more interaction with the audience. However, it was good that all of your members answered the questions reflecting shared responsibility among your group. This also showed that your group was knowledgeable on the content of your project.

    Lastly, we noticed that your group could have presented your recommendations in a clearer fashion to allow your audience to comprehend your information better. Our group felt that this could be due to poor structural flow.

    Thank you for your good effort and hard work in your presentation. All the best to all your future presentations!

    ReplyDelete