Saturday, January 24, 2009

What is Effective Communication for me???

Communication is an essential component which human beings are practicing now in order to understand each other as well as to express our feelings and concern toward each other. However, I think there are certain challenges we may face during communication such as miscommunications, misinterpretations etc. Thus, it is important for us to develop effective communication skills to avoid or minimize conflicts when communicating with people.

In my opinion, I think it is essential and important for me to develop effective communication skills as it is an important skill that might determine my career and the most importantly, my future life!!!!!!!!!!Maybe some of you may wonder that why I take this module so seriously. For me, a good resume and curriculum vitae play important roles in securing my future career as a well written resume and curriculum vitae can help develop good impression on employers toward me. Besides that, I think effective communication also plays a role in office politics as we must have good emotional intelligence, which is known as EQ to minimize conflicts and competitions between colleagues.

However, after I have attended two classes of Professional Communication, I realized effective communication is not just only needed at workplace, in fact it is needed in our daily life. Besides that, I also realized that communication skills can be divided into many different areas and this discovery really fascinated me.

Thus, from now onward, I think that effective communication not only crucial for my future career, it also plays important roles in order for me to understand my family, my friends as well as to allow me to show my concern and feeling toward people around me. Besides that, effective communication can lead me to a better life as I will learn to minimize conflicts when I communicate with the people. Now I am looking forward to have a fruitful and memorable journey with my classmates in learning effective communication. Last but not least, wish everybody have a Happy Chinese New Year!!!!!!!!=)





4 comments:

  1. Pooi San,

    Thank you for this post. It's a fairly clear and concise overview. I'm glad that you recognize that effective communication is vital for all interactions, not just those in the workplace.

    I'm glad that you see potential in this course for helping you recognize ways to improve your skills. Of course, it's not just a question of trying to avoid miscommunication and conflict. Effective communication can open so many doors for its practitioners, while those with lesser skills often get left behind.

    I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the module!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Pai shan,

    Happy belated new year to you :D

    I think your post is very honest, clear and concise. I especially like the part that you mentioned how having a good EQ will be important to avoid interpersonal conflicts in the future workplaces. Good communication skills usually reflect high EQ and fortunately for all of us that both can be enhanced through learning and applying it to real-life situations.

    You mentioned that there are 3 aspects of communiation- Wrriten, oral and nonverbal. Which fascinates you the most i wonder? For me it is definitely the non-verbal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brad,

    Sorry for such late response as I was busy with my research project in this entire semester.

    Thank for your comments and advices that you have given me!=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jingyang,

    Thanks for your comments and sorry for such late response.

    Haha, same as you, non-verbal communication fascinates me the most as sometimes it is hard to use to notice our non-verbal communication such as face expression, body gesture, speaking tone etc.

    ReplyDelete